Go Back   Dub's Pub > The Discourses > Local Politics

Old 02-05-2022, 08:59 AM

Default Douglas County School Board - A Learning Deficit

I was raised for many years in Douglas County, Colorado. As recently as three years ago, I worked there in a government role. While I was there, this county which was among the 25 most conservative counties in the nation according to some estimates, managed to go so far off the rails of the crazy train that the community ousted the entire school board and voted in four new board members including a Democrat.

Obviously, as things settled down, parents and teachers became disengaged in the close monitoring of their school board again, and as a result the natural "vote for my team, even if our candidates are completely incompetent and fundamentally dishonest!" mentality kicked back in. Thus, the majority of the board is once again provided to you by the Koch family.

And apparently, they learned nothing from the previous experience.

According to several articles, one of which is right here, it's back to secret meetings, firing people for ideological reasons, breaking rules and silencing the public, the exact same set of antics that got them ousted last time.

I am curious if anyone can tell me why they don't seem to be learning from their past failures. Sure, they might get a brief moment of winning, but they are actually probably one of the largest driving factors to change the voting demographics of this tea party stronghold into a much more Democratic leaning county.

Why don't they learn? What is it they hope to achieve? Why do conservatives continue to let their own politicians hijack the values they claim they represent, just because they're affiliated with the same political party?

I have more questions about this, but let's start there, along with any thoughts any of you have.