Go Back   Dub's Pub > The Discourses > US Politics

Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 PM

Default Investigate dem Dems?

Some people, namely me, feel that Trump should have perhaps been vetted and investigated more thoroughly by the alphabets before taking office, in order to avoid some of the circumstances he has been accused of.

Should the alphabets be currently investigating the current crop of people of various parties that are running for President? Should any such investigation wait for the nomination? Should it not occur at all?

Sure, running for President isn't necessarily Probable Cause in and of itself, but I am under the impression that you could investigate the people on the foreign end of any of say, Andrew Yang's previous business deals, even if it is illegal to investigate the man himself?
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune9tails View Post
Some people, namely me, feel that Trump should have perhaps been vetted and investigated more thoroughly by the alphabets before taking office, in order to avoid some of the circumstances he has been accused of.
This is the United States. We elect our President. Period. We don't care if they're lunatics or not. There is no litmus test here, because freedom.

Quote:
Should the alphabets be currently investigating the current crop of people of various parties that are running for President? Should any such investigation wait for the nomination? Should it not occur at all?
It shouldn't happen. It's probably happening because of this particular administration who does not seem to be opposed to investigating their political rivals.

It shouldn't happen, though, because as deeply flawed as it is, our country elects its leaders because freedom.

Quote:
Sure, running for President isn't necessarily Probable Cause in and of itself, but I am under the impression that you could investigate the people on the foreign end of any of say, Andrew Yang's previous business deals, even if it is illegal to investigate the man himself?
No, I don't think so. I don't think you just get to order random investigations. There are lots of rights issues involved in that. For example, if I was a politician and business man and all of my partners kept getting investigated every time I made a political move, that would definitely interfere with my rights to engage in a free market. They'd essentially be bullying and frightening off my business partners.

Also, those partners still have rights. I know not all Presidents are aware of that. I know not all citizens of the US think that's how it ought to be. But that's how it is. Those business partners have rights too, and investigating them without cause is a very expensive violation of their rights.