Go Back   Dub's Pub > The Discourses > Philosophy and Religion

Old 02-15-2022, 08:58 AM

Default Religious Persecution?

I was watching a video yesterday from Prager U (which is not a real university - that's a lie) about how Christians are being unfairly targeted, and then today I ran across this article.

A Christian adoption agency is refusing to allow or help a Jewish couple to gain a foster child because of their religion.

When are Christians going to stand up to their own fellow Christians and point out that when they are this blatantly hypocritical it makes them all look bad?

When are fellow Christians going to stand up to behaviors like this and point out that it's simply morally wrong?

Why do Christians allow this kind of behavior within their own ranks, and how come we so rarely hear or see any meaningful push back from Christians toward other Christians or groups that are behaving in ways that most Christians would claim were immoral if it was anyone other than another Christian doing it?
Old 02-16-2022, 02:29 PM

A Christian adoption agency is refusing to allow or help a Jewish couple to gain a foster child because of their religion.

When are Christians going to stand up to their own fellow Christians and point out that when they are this blatantly hypocritical it makes them all look bad?

If you want me to write this specific adoption agency, I have no problem with that.

When are fellow Christians going to stand up to behaviors like this and point out that it's simply morally wrong?

I wonder how many have? Knowing how many sects of Christianity there are that don't agree on things as important as what the Bible means, I would be surprised that if over 100 different Christians know about this, none of them have called it out.

Why do Christians allow this kind of behavior within their own ranks, and how come we so rarely hear or see any meaningful push back from Christians toward other Christians or groups that are behaving in ways that most Christians would claim were immoral if it was anyone other than another Christian doing it?

This kind of behaviour would not be allowed within the ranks of my Dad's church, and I think that most of the members of my church would say it was wrong.

When you say "Christians", do you mean Roman Catholics, Baptists, Mormons... or only the specific church that this adoption agency is associated with, if any?

Also, isn't this as immoral for every adoption agency or even every agency, or even every business? All of those should step up and condemn this.

Personally as an adopted person, I agree that this is wrong if the truth is as described.

"Their lawsuit comes two years after Tennessee's Republican governor, Bill Lee, signed a bill giving legal protection to taxpayer-funded foster care and adoption agencies that deny services based on religion or sexual orientation. The lawsuit argues this law violates the Tennessee Constitution's religious-freedom and equal-protection guarantees."

...well there's your problem.

Last edited by Kitsune9tails; 02-16-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:46 AM

Would you like me to make you a video on how to use quotes, my Christian friend?
Old 02-18-2022, 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=Kitsune9tails;187]If you want me to write this specific adoption agency, I have no problem with that./quote]

Go right ahead if you feel that's the right thing to do. I am trying to get you to do me a favor. I am asking why Christians don't have consistent morality.

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder how many have? Knowing how many sects of Christianity there are that don't agree on things as important as what the Bible means, I would be surprised that if over 100 different Christians know about this, none of them have called it out.
The number of Christians that are silent on these issues seems to vastly dwarf those who condemn it. I believe that changes when it's something someone who is not a Christian does, especially if they do it to a Christian.

Quote:
This kind of behaviour would not be allowed within the ranks of my Dad's church, and I think that most of the members of my church would say it was wrong.
I've met members of your father's church. I'm not convinced. You know them better, though.

Quote:
When you say "Christians", do you mean Roman Catholics, Baptists, Mormons... or only the specific church that this adoption agency is associated with, if any?
When I say "Christians", I mean those who believe that Christ was the messiah and who believe in and attempt to adhere to his teachings, as that is what the actual definition of a Christian is.

Quote:
Also, isn't this as immoral for every adoption agency or even every agency, or even every business? All of those should step up and condemn this.
Agreed. I'd bet several of them have. I didn't check though. I do know that most secular agencies don't use religion as a rigid compatibility measure. I'm sure some prefer to put kids with like-minded families when possible, but I don't think many secular agencies would ever prohibit a Jew from adopting a Christian, Muslim, etc.

Quote:
Personally as an adopted person, I agree that this is wrong if the truth is as described.

"Their lawsuit comes two years after Tennessee's Republican governor, Bill Lee, signed a bill giving legal protection to taxpayer-funded foster care and adoption agencies that deny services based on religion or sexual orientation. The lawsuit argues this law violates the Tennessee Constitution's religious-freedom and equal-protection guarantees."

...well there's your problem.
Not really. I'm not a Christian. This is your shit-show. My identity group cares about helping kids, not focusing on which irrational belief system he or his new foster parents claim to adhere to.