View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
If it is said that President Trump committed these acts for self benefit and not for the benefit of the American people, could it be perceived that all those that voted for him do, in fact, benefit from the alleged actions? His actions may reflect the will of those that voted for him while opposing those that didn’t.
Absolutely it could be perceived that way.

I still wouldn't want a President that I voted for committing those acts for those reasons (I did not vote for Trump, I disliked him decades before he became nominee), and I would not vote for a candidate that I believed would abuse his power or interfere in a Congressional investigation, even if I thought that would ultimately benefit me personally.

A(nother) President does something unethical but it's okay because it helps me out? If it was bad when Obama or Bush or whoever allegedly did that, then it is bad now.

Even if such acts were not worth removing the President over, they would be worth investigating and probable Impeachment.

Quote:
So, my conspiracy: Passing a strictly partisan impeachment through the House, knowing the Senate is going to shut it down seems asinine.
Maybe so, but it is also their actual job, if I understand correctly. If even one Democrat in Congress believes the President has acted in a way that should, in principle, result in the President's removal, it is their oath and their duty to bring that before the Chair. I may be legally wrong about that, but it should be true in my opinion.

More cynically, the one thing Democrats cannot have the President doing is signalling to foreign and domestic actors that interfering in our Presidential election is okay. The Democrats have to signal that this is not okay with them, even if they cannot remove the President for it.

...and yes, even if they secretly plan to do the same thing themselves. Not attempting to remove (or at least investigate) the President when he is accused of trying to manipulate the election in his favor would be the same as saying voter suppression is okay.