View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune9tails View Post
Lots of stuff there. I wish I had time to watch it all. I don't.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, it is merely a formal social contract. There is no codified penalty for failing to Brexit or even just ignoring it; no one would go to jail or even be removed from office if all of the MPs just said, "screw it, we're not doing it" tomorrow.
Are you saying this wasn't like in the US when a referendum gets passed it has a date in it that it becomes the law of the land?

If there's no law being violated, that's important. I hear a lot of people saying that Brexit is a law that was passed. If it's not actually a law, or if it has no date for it on it, then those people are not correct.

Because of your post, I went and looked.

Here is what I think you are referring to, from Wikipedia:

Quote:
]The referendum
Limitation

This Act required a referendum to be held on the question of the UK's continued membership of the European Union before the end of 2017. The Bill did not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a vote to leave the EU should be implemented. ... The UK does not have constitutional provisions which would require the results of a referendum to be implemented, unlike, for example, the Republic of Ireland, where the circumstances in which a binding referendum should be held are set out in its constitution.
I have to say that I did not know that and I took it for granted that a referendum in the UK worked the same as in the US. It apparently, does not.

To me this is an easy question and answer now:

Did the government of the UK violate the democratic will of their citizens?

No, or as you stated, "So technically, no; working as intended."

This is a fact-based question, and there is a fact-based answer. I think it's important to know so that I can point it out the next time I hear this argument.

Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention!

Quote:
Socially and politically, yeah it's a disaster. You could call it a betrayal of Democracy, but it is more a case of Democracy shooting itself in the foot.

Essentially, the People have voted to do a thing that the government cannot figure out how to do in a way the people will accept. And by 'not accept' I mean in a way that won't result in people throwing Molotov cocktails at tanks.

This is a lesson to every future Democracy: vote on plans, not ideas. (disclaimer: this may not be a practical lesson)
Sadly, the US is populated by a large portion of people that think education is a sin, and that learning is a curse.