View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
How do your conversations with Trump supporters usually begin?
Let me be forthright and say that there are Democrats I am sorry I ever said a word to also.

My experiences with Trump supporters run the gamut.

They do tend toward the interrupting, give a speech, don't ask any questions, make baseless accusations, and fling conspiracy theories around kind of people. People who claim there was a child sex ring in a pizzeria, Sandy Hook was staged, and so on. They generally say all this garbage in one long-winded, incoherent stream of consciousness.

There are others though too. I've had conversations with a couple of Trump supporters I talked to that were at least capable of an honest exchange of ideas. I think that's not as common as it should be though. I mean they wouldn't concede honest points. They tried to tell me Obama wasn't an American. I was told once again that Benghazi was a cover-up and that we sold uranium to Iran. All of these things are thoroughly debunked slander, but the most reasonable conversations I have had with Trump supporters still included them, just without the interruptions, yelling, rambling, racial slurs and telling me to go do things I ought not do at a public place.

So they weren't really productive, but they weren't something you'd get kicked out of class in first grade for either.

I also spoke to reasonable conservatives; which is to say people who are more interested in conservative principals and defending conservative values than defending Donald Trump.

These people want to hear other sides, and I've enjoyed my conversations with them.

People who want to learn will ask as many questions as they give answers to. They make concessions when possible, they understate their case when they can. They argue, but they do it in the interest of learning. These conservatives are, in my experience, on the fence about Trump, at best. Why that's the case is a discussion we could have as well, but it's not part of the answer to your question.

You asked how my conversations with Trump supporters went. I've had the whole spectrum of conversations with people that were Trump supporters. It's just that the vast majority of those I would call "Trump supporters" as opposed to "conservatives" tend to be in the belligerent category.