Thread: How to Argue
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I meant more in a... in a meeting where they're talking about what they feel the best solution to a given challenge is, do people actually hear each other and understand each other, or do you see your peers struggle with doing that?
I haven't had a job where that happened in years. Maybe decades. Maybe never.

Working for the delivery service I currently work with, it's via app. There are no meetings or discussions, just dispatches. If a policy changes, I will either never know, or see it as a pop up fait accompli. If I wanted to complain, I suppose I could talk to someone on the help line who would promply forget my call, or maybe pass it upstairs vaguely in the direction of corporate with tiny and diminishing chances with each ladder rung that it would result in some sort of nationwide corporate policy change... which would be vastly more likely than a special case being made for whatever my issue was.

Before that, I worked a different delivery job. They didn't even have a physical office; my supervisor just drove up and talked to you about whatever. They were nice, patient and accomodating, but on the occasions that there were actual meetings we'd rent space. Those meetings had specific space for general venting, and it was pretty informal, so within the confines of office politics, people were pretty straightforward and sometimes colorful about what they needed. There was fairly open talk about unionizing for instance, which eventually happened to negligible result. So, yes, people heard and communicated well, but the issues were pretty simple and unsubtle. The only issues came when people were cautious about saying stuff in front of certain coworkers who could make their jobs more difficult without actually violating rules.

Last edited by Kitsune9tails; 12-21-2019 at 07:35 AM.