Thread: How to Argue
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 05:53 PM

1. Depending on what you consider constructive, at least weekly. I myself have made it a practice to meet with friends at least weekly for months for discussions of various things; politics, society, science, etc.

2. In my most recent experiences at work, aside from orders from above, it's all small talk.

3. It's interesting: due to social media, subjects like the news and politics and ethics are brought up daily, but less so face to face. Outside my immediate circle of friends, most discussions are personal drama or outright gossip, when it isn't the latest news about relatives.

4. Like most things, it would have to be specifically encouraged and rewarded if you wanted it to happen more often. Free food or drink at gatherings, purposeful organization for some common cause, maybe even tutoring.

5. One of the discussions I have had recently was with the wife of a friend. We were talking about the nutrition industry and some possible conspiracies regarding it; suppression of scientific studies, misleading advertising, improperly conducted studies as related to the Keto v standard nutrition models.

6. I love 'em. I love to learn and discuss.

7. Sounds like a fun thing to try!

8. When I watch discussions/debates in media, the most frustrating thing to me is the lack of a 'speaking stick' and a timer. I'd like to see some kind of timekeeping and lack of interruption. Maybe use a chess clock?