View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:55 AM

Default If it ain't broke, don't Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSM...OA2s1wsOR2EgJA

The above is my favorite resource on Brexit. It is apparently a couple of guys in a flat with nothing better to do. Well, they had something better to do, but apparently YouTube and Patreon became more profitable? Poor guys.

I am not sure to what extent the Brexit referendum is legally binding. If I understand correctly, it is merely a formal social contract. There is no codified penalty for failing to Brexit or even just ignoring it; no one would go to jail or even be removed from office if all of the MPs just said, "screw it, we're not doing it" tomorrow.

Now there might very well be rioting in the streets. MPs might get murdered and what not, but I don't think there are any laws in place that penalize the government or Parliament or the Royal Family in any way for ignoring Brexit, except for a law saying the PM has to keep asking for extensions if the time limit runs out.

So technically, no; working as intended.

Socially and politically, yeah it's a disaster. You could call it a betrayal of Democracy, but it is more a case of Democracy shooting itself in the foot.

Essentially, the People have voted to do a thing that the government cannot figure out how to do in a way the people will accept. And by 'not accept' I mean in a way that won't result in people throwing Molotov cocktails at tanks.

This is a lesson to every future Democracy: vote on plans, not ideas. (disclaimer: this may not be a practical lesson)