Dub's Pub

Dub's Pub (http://www.dubspub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Social Issues (http://www.dubspub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Thursday Coffee (http://www.dubspub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84)

Kitsune9tails 01-16-2020 11:47 AM

Thursday Coffee

Agenda topics for next meeting:
*Pass the hat
*Book club
*Landing page
*Automation of the Workplace
*Immigration

This still true for 1/16/20?

Publius 01-17-2020 11:56 AM

Next meeting: Thursday, 23 January, 2020 at 6:30 PM MST.

Importantly, update your time zone in your user settings so the calendar shows the correct time and day.

Pass the Hat
Stays on the list. Just as a general thing. It's not a big deal, but I don't mind having it on there. There's no intention to harp on it, but it should remain there. There are items for the community that do require more than elbow grease to obtain.

This should just stay on each week's list.

The Landing Page
Should stay on the list until it's resolved. That thing is a giant wall of rhetoric.

Immigration
Is on the list. We are waiting for Wulfgard to clarify assertions on crime rates and immigrants. Specifically it was asserted that the majority of violent crimes committed over some length of time in Denmark were perpetrated by immigrants (as opposed to the native population). It was a really high number that was asserted as well.

Iran
We were going to try to find out what kinds of missiles and airstrikes Iran used such that no US personnel were harmed. The consensus seemed to be that we all wondered where Iran managed to get the ability to drop precision bombs in the middle of populated areas without killing anyone (seemingly on purpose). This was my homework, I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Iran's Tasnim News Agency reported that the IRGC used Fateh-313 and Qiam ballistic missiles in the attack and claimed that U.S. forces failed to intercept them because they were equipped with cluster warheads.

Source.

Health Care
What percentage of people (presumably US only) do not currently have health care? This was supposed to be researched. I will try to find this.

It's currently estimated at 8.5%, which is up .5% over the previous year. This is about on par with the increase from 2018. This number had not increased since the passage of the Affordable Care Act until 2018.

Brain Differences
Someone wanted to see studies on the differences between a "liberal" and a "conservative" brain. I will try to bring these. Here's a link to a conversation about these brain differences. You can play the audio if it's available at the top of the page.

Publius 01-24-2020 01:54 AM

New location!
Denny's on 285
3580 S Wadsworth Blvd, Lakewood, CO 80235

Next meeting: Thursday, 30 January, 2020 at 6:30 PM MST.

Importantly, update your time zone in your user settings so the calendar shows the correct time and day.

Pass the Hat
Stays on the list. Just as a general thing.

The Landing Page
That thing is a giant wall of rhetoric.

Immigration
Is on the list. We are waiting for Wulfgard to clarify assertions on crime rates and immigrants. Specifically it was asserted that the majority of violent crimes committed over some length of time in Denmark were perpetrated by immigrants (as opposed to the native population). It was a really high number that was asserted as well.

Responsible Voters
How much time should a person spend studying politics in order to be considered a responsible voter?

Other:

Oddly, we closed more topics than we opened. I wouldn't count on that happening a lot in our future.

I have random questions if we run short of topics. I suspect that will not be the case, however.

Publius 02-01-2020 08:37 PM

Hey gang.

I just wanted to post this in case someone was looking for the event on the calendar.

For the third week in a row, it was me and one other person that were present. When others are present it's one or two people at the most, and it just seems like this is something that while interesting and something most people support, it's just not something most of us have time for.

It's probably not worth trying to hold a regular weekly event at this point, however most of the people on here have my contact info. If someone wants to get together I am always interested.

If there seems to be more interest or demand in the future, we can always start it back up. Thanks so much to those that did attend. It was a lot of fun for me, and I learned things. It was definitely worthwhile to me, and for that you have my most sincere thanks.